Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Ash Wednesday





This day, the Lenten season has started officially. In the Philippines, as expected, the number of church goers will be quadrupled than the number of those attending the regular Sunday mass. This is one of the seasons in Christian calendar that brings several Catholics in the church to exercise the tradition. Because Ash Wednesday, is a time for repentance, penance and setting out a specific spiritual goal. During this day, fasting and abstinence are strictly observed. 

Aside from I grew up in a family with closed Christian belief, I also learned Catholicism in school  in my primary and secondary years. Most of the Christian traditions were introduced and practiced  which's already part of me for as long as I can remember. Before I knew the true meaning of Ash Wednesday, I was moved to the thought that,  I had to keep the ash from accidental scratches. That if I removed it with my hand, the ash will bring no effect and my sins shall not be forgiven. They say that I had to let the ash fade on it's own. Then as the years passed, with so many Ash Wednesdays I have attended and observed, I realized that the ash on the forehead is a symbol of humility, the humbleness of realizing how sinful a man is. And it's a day of reflection and preparation for the Easter, the biggest event of the Catholic church.

Since Lenten season has been part of the yearly tradition of the Catholics, my only question to myself before I head to the church: "Was I a good Christian?", recalling  how I was , I always end it  by telling to myself "I tried, but I'm sorry. Please forgive me Lord".

1 comment:

Stargazer said...

I think Lent also reminds us that we are all sinners and that we should always go back to Jesus so He can save us. Read about what happened to me on Ash Wednesday at http://risforrogue.i.ph/blogs/risforrogue/2011/03/20/march-12-2011/